How are Liver Function Tests so important?
Liver Function Tests (LFT) will help you to determine, if your liver is working properly or not. In general, the liver performs series of vital activity in your body, like:
- To remove contaminants in your blood
- Helps to convert nutrients from the foods
- Stores minerals and vitamins in your body
- Helps to regulate blood clotting
- Produces proteins, enzymes, and bile
- Produce factors that continuously fight against infections
- Helps to remove bacteria from your blood
- Helps to process substances instantly, which may harm your body
- Maintains the balance of hormone in your body
If you are getting problem in your liver, it can make you very sick, or can even be fetal. You may fell symptom due to liver disorder, such as:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Pain in the abdomen
- Yellow skin
- Yellow eyes
- Weight loss
- Loss of energy
- Swelling around the eyes
- Dark urine
- Light stools
You doctor may recommend series of liver function tests, when you suffered from any liver disorder by experiencing the symptoms, mentioned above. If you are planing to get pregnancy, but you have a suspected case of liver disorder, then you should first option for liver function tests. You can able to identify your liver infection, monitor the progression or treatment of a disease, and test for the side effects of certain medications by ordering series of LFT.
Preparations for Liver Function Tests
Doctor will provide you a complete pretests information on how you will prepare for the blood sample portion of the test. Certain factor may affect test report, such as medications and foods that affects the levels of these enzymes and proteins in blood. So he will strictly advice you to avoid such medications and foods. He also asks to avoid eating anything for a period of time before LFT. At the time of sample collection you should wear a shirt with sleeves so that can easily rolled up to make very easy to collect the blood sample.